Great Smoky Mountains Association is a non-profit organization founded in 1953 to provide educational services and programs to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We're looking for employees for our visitor center store locations who love the park and enjoy helping our 10 million visitors each year experience the Smokies to the fullest.
Open Positions: Sales Assistant
Please make sure to review the qualifications for the position. You will then need to download and fill out the application. Submit your completed application, resume, and cover letter by emailing our HR department HERE. Email is preferred.
Sales Assistant: Cades Cove
Join Our Team! Make someone's visit to the Smokies special, while supporting the important work our organization does every day to benefit this national park.
Job Statement: Under general supervision, performs administrative and clerical duties in operation of sales outlet managed by the Great Smoky Mountains Association. Is responsible for assisting customers with purchases and inquiries about the Park and Association. Is responsible for sales transactions and for ensuring proper inventory of sales shelves.
Duties: The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Operates visitor center sales outlet; performs opening/closing procedures; operates media player to showcase video media available for sale; secures sales outlet at end of workday.
- Provides customer service in person or by telephone; provides assistance/information related to park/visitor center services, facilities, activities, locations, distances, merchandise, charges/fees, procedures, or other issues; directs visitors to points of interest within park; provides information regarding programs of the Association and the National Park Service (NPS); provides interpretive information to assist visitors with identification of indigenous wildlife, flora, and fauna; refers inquiries to proper Association officials, NPS officials, Gateway Regional Visitor Center partners, or other personnel as appropriate.
- Performs retail sales work; assists customers with selection of merchandise for purchase; conducts sales transactions; operates computerized cash register; process credit card payments, accepts cash payments, and makes change for items purchased.
- Promotes the benefits of GSMA membership to visitors; recruits and processes new members and renewal members.
- Records/secures moneys received; collects money deposited by visitors into brochure/leaflet dispensers; sorts, counts, and records money; balances cash register drawers; prepares bank deposits.
- Maintains/stocks vending machines; collects, records, and secures money; coordinates service/repair when needed.
- Maintains/displays shelf inventory of merchandise for sale; stocks shelves, brochure/leaflet dispensers, and display tables; places, moves, or removes stock items; replenishes items as necessary; obtains items from stock room.
- Initiates requests for new/replacement materials from warehouse; inspects deliveries to verify accuracy and completeness of order; identifies incorrect or damaged items; packages items for shipment; communicates with warehouse personnel regarding status of orders, discrepancies, or problems; assists in conducting periodic inventories.
Minimum training and experience: Graduation from high school and 1 to 2 years of experience in retail sales, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Must have general knowledge of the programs, goals and objectives of the Great Smoky Mountains Association and the National Park Service.
Type: Seasonal through November, 20-40 hours per week
Hiring Rate: $10.40/hr. (25¢/hr. increase after 90 days) + incentive pay. $15 travel stipend per day when scheduled to work at Cades Cove Visitor Center
Hire Date: As Needed
Supervisor: Senior Store Manager
Deadline: Until position is filled, 3-4 spots available
Required for all Positions: Please submit a completed job application, cover letter and current resume to Kelli Green, Human Resources, 865.436.7318 Ext. 228.